Spooky, scrumptious Halloween PEEPS + how to make Kandy Kebabs!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year–Halloween time! I basically consider the entire month of October as Halloween, and in the months leading up to it–starting in July, no joke–I begin my Halloween preparations: buying decorations, planning my costume, deciding what types of crafts I’ll make, and stockpiling Halloween treats. Right now there are 2 candy dishes at home, and 1 at work, absolutely stuffed with Halloween candy…my sweet tooth goes into overdrive during this month.
But my favorite sweet treat is one I don’t dare put into the candy jar. That’s because I don’t wanna share! Nope, I need to keep these adorable treats all to myself! PEEPS® has a variety of seasonal Halloween treats that are slightly spooky and totally sweet (and gluten-free, of course!). Let’s talk about which ones are available this season and where you can find them. Plus, I’ll give you my recipes for Kandy Kebabs, featuring lots of different gluten-free sweets including PEEPS!
This year, there are 4 varieties of what I’ll call traditional PEEPS treats–treats that taste like Marshmallow PEEPS and aren’t flavored with anything else. They are:
- Marshmallow Ghosts (9 per pack)
- Marshmallow Tombstones (9 per pack)
- Marshmallow Monsters, designed to look like Frankenstein’s monster (9 per pack)
- Marshmallow Pumpkins, which are slightly less than half the size of the other 3 varieties–they’re truly bite-size! (24 per pack)
Now, these all basically taste the same (and by that I mean they taste super delicious!), but I have a few favorites. I’ve always been partial to the Tombstones and like that they’re just a little bit creepy. I love the Ghosts because they’re perfect for lots of cool Halloween treats, like making s’mores or dipping in melted chocolate and then sprinkles. I dig the Monsters because I was an English major and Frankenstein was one of my favorite novels! And when I need a sweet treat but don’t want to overdo it, the Pumpkins are my favorite.
Oh, wait, I just said ALL of them are my favorite, didn’t I? Of course they are–they’re sweet, delicious, delightfully decorated PEEPS!
All of these cute chicks are flavored and/or dipped in something, and let me tell you, the PEEPS peeps (see what I did there?) got really creative this year and came up with some really awesome, super flavorful combinations. All chicks mentioned below come 3 to a pack.
- Milk Chocolate dipped marshmallow: These festive orange chicks come with a layer of delish chocolate. These are so tasty and just scream Halloween!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte chick dipped in white fudge: I was surprised at how much I liked this one, given that I hate coffee. I didn’t really taste any coffee/latte taste, but I did taste some great pumpkin spice. Honestly, I think a more accurate name for this one would have been Pumpkin Chai Tea, but either way—it’s yummy. And the white fudge complements it perfectly!
- Candy Corn chick dipped in white fudge: I liked this chick more than I like actual candy corn! It tastes better and is certainly much cuter.
- Caramel Apple chick dipped in caramel fudge: This one smells more appley than it tastes, so if you’re put off by strong faux-apple tastes, fear not—this chick won’t overwhelm your taste buds! The caramel fudge is the perfect addition to this pretty green chick.
- Maple Brown Sugar chick dipped in white fudge: This delicious chick is a Target exclusive! I love, love, love the sweetness of this chick; the brown sugar taste really comes through. A must-try!
Where to buy all the Halloween PEEPS and seasonal chicks: At your local grocery store, pharmacy, or mass market retailer, unless otherwise specified.
Here’s the trick to these Kandy Kebabs: To complement the PEEPS, buy gluten-free candy that is kinda soft and squishy in the middle so that you can get a kebab through it! (For example, although plain Hershey’s Kisses are gluten-free, they were not kebab-friendly. Tried that and failed miserably.) Directions for all of these kebabs: Thread the candy through your kebab, then eat and enjoy! I don’t recommend handing these out to trick-or-treaters, as they can get a little sticky, but they’re a fun and festive Halloween party treat!
Here are a few of my favorite combinations, all featuring various types of Halloween PEEPS alongside some of my other favorite gluten-free Halloween candies!
Kandy Korn Kebab
- 2 Kraft Jet-Puffed Candy Corn marshmallows
- 1 PEEPS Candy Corn chick
- 1 PEEPS Maple Brown Sugar chick
- 2 Rolos
- 1 fun size Simply Caramel Milky Way bar, chopped in half to make 2 pieces (note: while the original Milky Way bar is not gluten-free, the Simply Caramel one is!)
Karamel Apple Kebab
- 1 PEEPS Caramel Apple chick
- 2 Rolos
- 1 fun size Simply Caramel Milky Way bar, chopped in half to make 2 pieces
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Kebab
- 1 PEEPS Pumpkin Spice Latte chick
- 2 Reese’s miniature peanut butter cups
Ghostly White Kebab
- 1 PEEPS marshmallow ghost
- 2 Reese’s miniature white chocolate peanut butter cups
Minty Monster Kebab
- 1 PEEPS marshmallow monster
- 1 York miniature peppermint patty, cut in half to make 2 pieces
Which of these spooky-yet-adorable Halloween PEEPS candies are your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!
Hungry for more?
Don’t forget that in addition to Just Born making awesome seasonal PEEPS, they’ve also made some fun and delicious seasonal MIKE AND IKE and HOT TAMALES candies available! I love the spiciness of the Hot Tamales Caramel Apple candies, and the Mike and Ike Vampire Variety is my absolute favorite because it includes all the red and purple flavors–like cherry, grape, raspberry, and more–which are the best kinds, in my opinion!
Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this article were provided to me for review purposes. This did not influence the article in any way; my opinions are my own. If I didn’t love it, I wouldn’t cover it here. See my personal disclaimer for more details.