March Snack Madness: Sweet Sixteen Gluten-Free Appetizers
March Madness is sweeping the nation, and soon the Sweet Sixteen will be overtaking televisions everywhere. Whether you’re watching the game on your own or with friends, you’ve gotta have some good snacks on hand. If you or one of your guests is gluten-free, you might wonder what types of yummy appetizer-type food could work for you. Believe it or not, there are tons of recipes you can whip up with just a few ingredients! Check out this “sweet sixteen” of gluten-free party food ideas using Glutino crackers, pretzels, and bagel chips!
Think you need to go to New York for the perfect bagel? Think again! Glutino’s gluten-free bagel chips are a fantastic foundation for many scrumptious snacks. These ideas are sure to be slam dunks:
- Bruschetta Bites: Mix some chopped tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, and a little vinegar. Spread it on bagel chips.
- Everything Bagel Crunch: This bagel chip might be plain, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get that Everything Bagel taste you miss! Mix minced onion, garlic, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds with one 8-ounce package of cream cheese. Just dunk the bagel chip into the dip for an everything taste everyone will love.
- Bite-Sized Tuna Salad Sandwiches: These open-faced tuna salad sandwiches are protein-packed noshes! Just mix up your favorite gluten-free tuna salad recipe and put dollops of it on the bagel chips.
- Pizza Bagel Bites: Top the bagel chips with your favorite chunky or smooth tomato sauce. Add a piece of gluten-free pepperoni (I recommend Hormel) and top with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese. Microwave until they’re as warm as you like, then serve.
These versatile crackers are the perfect complement to pretty much anything. Crispy and crunchy, they hold dips and toppings perfectly. Score big with these unique snack ideas!
- Salsa Dippers: These crackers are reminiscent of tortilla chips. So why not pair them with an appropriate dip? Dunk ‘em into your favorite salsa for a flavorful snack.
- Nacho Bites: These crackers might be small, but they are mighty! They don’t crack under the pressure of toppings, so pile on your favorites, like ground beef, shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped tomatoes or peppers.
- Chili Dippers: Add some spice to these delicious crackers by pairing them with a pot of homemade, gluten-free chili.
- Hibachi Snackers: These crackers have a Japanese flair—they contain sesame seeds and soy sauce. Grill some steak and chop it into small pieces. Mix it with cooked rice and soy sauce; add some chopped scallions for more color and flavor. Scoop the mix up with the crackers.
Wings are a traditional sports-watching snack. Try one of these fun buffalo wing-inspired snacks while cheering on your favorite team!
- Buffalo Chicken Nachos: Load up your favorite tortilla chips with shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Crush some Buffalo Style Pretzels and sprinkle the pieces on top of the nachos.
- Buffalo Pretzel Sandwiches: Cut slices of gluten-free American cheese (I recommend Boar’s Head brand) to fit on top of the buffalo style pretzels. Pop them in the microwave and melt the cheese on the pretzels. Serve open-faced, or stick another buffalo style pretzel on top of the cheese for a delicious pretzel sandwich.
- Buffalo and Cream Cheese Dippers: Many people like to enjoy buffalo wings with bleu cheese—but bleu cheese isn’t always gluten-free. Instead, get a container of whipped cream cheese, and use it as a dip for the pretzels.
- Healthier Buffalo Dippers: Instead of using cream cheese, use plain Greek yogurt for dipping. Greek yogurt is packed with protein and a healthier choice than cream cheese.
These savory crackers are crunchy and, of course, cheesy! These versatile crackers pair well with a wide variety of dips and toppers.
- Pepperoni and Cheese Stackers: Using the cheddar crackers as a base, layer gluten-free pepperoni and slices of cheese. Warm in the microwave or serve cold; you can’t go wrong with these!
- Cheese and Bacon Bites: What goes well with cheese? Bacon, of course! Microwave some gluten-free bacon (I recommend Hormel or Oscar Mayer) and then break it into smaller pieces. Top each cheddar cracker with a piece of bacon, sprinkle on some shredded cheddar, and microwave them just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Cheddar Dippers: Whip up a gluten-free French onion dip, and serve with these delicious cheddar crackers.
- Mini Ham and Cheese Sammies: On the cracker, layer gluten-free ham (Oscar Mayer has several gluten-free varieties) with your favorite cheese. Stack as high as you like, and serve warmed or cold.
Enjoy cheering on your favorite college team with delicious gluten-free snacks!
Disclaimer: Some of the products mentioned in this article were provided to me for review purposes. Under no circumstances has this affected the integrity of the article. If I didn’t love it, I wouldn’t cover it here. See my personal disclaimer for more details.
I first posted this article on Examiner.com.