Make It Easy Monday: DIY Flavored Almonds
When you’re gluten-free, gifting can be tough. Gifts of food are always popular and welcomed, but here’s the dilemma: What recipe can you whip up that’s both gluten-free (for your safety, while making it) and enjoyable for your gluten-eating friends to chow down on? Supermodel Molly Sims and the Almond Board of California have a fantastic idea that is naturally gluten-free: homemade flavored almonds!
Molly says, “[Try gifting] something DIY, homemade and from the heart. I love these almonds in a Mason jar for a delicious yet healthy gift, which you can make in a large batch for many gifts. You can also keep these on hand in your kitchen to munch on while you are cooking or keep them in a bowl on your counter for when unexpected guests drop by. The savory options can be chopped and used as a healthier salad topping, too!”
Better yet, this flavored almonds recipe can be adapted in many ways to suit various tastes and/or accommodate food allergies. You can keep it gluten-free, you can make it dairy-free and soy-free…the possibilities are endless! Here’s the basic recipe, plus some ideas to get creative and truly make it your own!
- 1 egg white (or 2 tbsp. liquid egg whites), beaten until frothy
- 1 pound almonds
- 1 ounce of your favorite dry seasonings. Try these ideas:
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Paprika and rosemary
- Garlic and salt
- The leftover BBQ rub from the grilling season
- Cocoa powder and powdered sugar
- Mason jars or other containers
- Ribbons, bows, washi tape, gift cards or other decorations
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray it with cooking oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg white and spices. Add the almonds and stir to coat completely.
- Spread almonds in a single layer on the cookie sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir almonds to keep them from sticking. Return to oven and roast another 10 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet to a cooling rack and stir again; allow almonds to cool completely.
- Then fill your containers and decorate them as desired!
Remember to purchase a brand of almonds that you know for sure is gluten-free. Avoid buying almonds and other treats from bulk bins at your grocery store, as there is a risk for cross-contamination.
Want more deliciously nutty gluten-free recipes? Click here to check out all the gluten-free recipes the Almond Board of California offers!