How to make delicious gluten-free Pumpkin Fig Coconut granola
Food allergies are serious—but food shouldn’t be. That’s the motto of Heather Christo, a chef and allergy-free lifestyle expert. Christo, who is a graduate of Le cordon bleu, has two daughters with severe food allergies (and suffers from food allergies and intolerances herself), so she’s become passionate about creating delicious allergy-free recipes that she and her entire family can safely enjoy.
In addition to featuring a wide variety of mouthwatering allergy-free recipes online (if you aren’t hungry after eyeing up her collections of scrumptious popcorn recipes, satisfying hangover breakfasts, amazing gluten-free pasta dishes, and more, then you’re probably just not human!), Christo also has a new cookbook, Pure Delicious, in the pipeline. Pure Delicious features 200 allergy-free recipes that are free from gluten, dairy, soy, egg, tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, and cane sugar. The cookbook will be released in April 2016 and is available for pre-order at Amazon and many other book retailers.
In the meantime, while you’re waiting to get your gluten-free hands on Pure Delicious, why not whet your appetite with a healthy, tasty recipe that’s super-easy to make? Christo’s Pumpkin Fig Coconut Granola recipe is gluten-free and vegan. It makes a great afternoon snack, or turn it into a balanced breakfast by combining a serving of the granola with a serving of plain Greek yogurt!
Pumpkin Fig Coconut Granola (Gluten Free and Vegan)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serves 6 (Serving size = 1 cup)
- 5 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried figs, thinly sliced
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and kosher salt.
- Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, melted oil and vanilla and toss everything to coat the oats well.
- Spread the granola out on the prepared sheet pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir with a spatula. Put the granola back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle the coconut, figs and seeds over the granola and lightly mix in with a spatula. Bake for 5 more minutes and then take out and let cool before breaking the granola into chunks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few weeks.
Hungry for more? Find additional allergy-free tips and recipes at HeatherChristo.com.