Gluten-free lipsticks for kissable Valentine’s Day lips
It’s kissing season! Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so it’s a great time to perfect your pout. But if you’re gluten-free, you may be wondering what types of lip products are safe for you to use. If you use lipstick or lip glosses that contain gluten, there is a chance it could come off as you eat, causing you to ingest gluten. Luckily, there are plenty of awesome options that are gluten-free–and that you can find in a store near you. Here are my top 5 picks for gluten-free Valentine’s Day lips:
- Bite Beauty. Bite’s good-for-you, gluten-free lip products are good enough to eat–seriously! Bite’s products contain natural, organic ingredients, like Manuka honey, resveratrol, and fruit butters. They’re nourishing and moisturizing–especially helpful during wintertime, when lips can get dried out. My pick: VIB Rouge Cream Lipstick is the perfect red, and it keeps lips well-hydrated. Where you can buy it: Your local Sephora store (the King of Prussia store is my fave).
- Lipstick Queen. In addition to being gluten-free, Lipstick Queen’s lipsticks are incredibly flattering. Often, colors–like Hello Sailor, a pretty berry shade, or Jean Queen, a perfect pink–have the ability to look great on everyone, no matter what complexion you have. Better yet, many of these lipsticks also do double-duty, giving lips a subtle, pretty stain that lasts even after a meal. My pick: The universally-flattering Medieval. Where you can buy it: Your local Ulta store.
- Ulta Collection. Let me start out by saying how fantastic it is that you can view the Ulta Collection of lipsticks and filter your search results to show only the gluten-free products–it makes them so much easier to find! Ever since I found out that Ulta’s Super Shiny Lip Glosses were gluten-free, I’ve been busy trying out nearly all the colors. These glosses feel great on the lips–they are hydrating, not too sticky, and smell and taste sweet. And at $8 each, they’re a great value for your money. My pick: Super Shiny Lip Gloss in Starlet, a beautiful, shimmery dark red. Where you can buy it: Your local Ulta store.
- Hugo Naturals. If you’re looking for soft, kissable lips without any added color, Hugo Naturals’ lip balms are a great choice. These balms provide much-needed hydration to dry, parched lips, leaving them well-moisturized. The entire Hugo Naturals line of products (which includes shampoo and conditioner, shower gel and soap, lotions and body butters, and more) is not only gluten-free, but also 100% natural, vegan, soy-free, and cruelty-free. My pick: Grapefruit lip balm–sweet, tart, and hydrating. Where you can buy it: Your local Whole Foods store.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics. Need to indulge your inner wild child? OCC’s Lip Tars can help! They come in a wide variety of bright colors (plenty of tamer colors and neutrals, too), and in addition to being gluten-free (it’s marked right on the package), they’re also vegan and cruelty-free. They have great staying power, so your lips will be bright well into the night. My pick: Lip Tar Stained Gloss in New Wave, a gorgeous neon pink. Where you can buy it: Your local Sephora store.
I first posted this article on Examiner.com.