Fun, unconventional ways to enjoy gluten-free animal crackers
Everybody knows animal crackers are delicious, cute, and the perfect take-anywhere snack. But did you also know they can be incredibly versatile and a fun component of many other snacks and desserts?
You won’t believe all the recipes you can incorporate animal crackers into! Check out the fun, unconventional ways to enjoy animal crackers below ideas below. Try making them with Glutino’s gluten-free animal crackers, which come in two tasty varieties: Original and Graham.
Simple snack ideas
- Animal Dippers. Glutino’s Graham animal crackers taste insanely good when paired with peanut butter. When you need a quick snack, reach for a handful of Graham animal crackers and my jar of Mighty Maple peanut butter. Just dip and enjoy!
- Cookie Sandwiches. These are somewhat of the same concept as Animal Dippers, since they involve the same ingredients—but here you have double the cookie! Spread your favorite nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, or even nut-free sunflower seed butter) on one Graham animal cracker. Top with another Graham animal cracker to make a cookie sandwich. It’s the perfect two-bite snack!
- Zoo-riffic Trail Mix. Whip up a sweet snack mix using a variety of gluten-free favorites! In a bowl, place some Glutino Original animal crackers, your favorite gluten-free Chex cereal (like Vanilla Chex or Chocolate Chex), a handful of your favorite gluten-free nuts, chocolate or carob chips, and dried fruits like pineapple and cranberries. Your whole family will go wild for this one!
Genius dessert ideas
You’ll see that some of the recipes below call for frosted animal crackers. Frosting your Glutino animal crackers is easy! Just mix up some confectioner’s sugar and water to your desired thickness, and use the back of a spoon to spread it on the animal crackers. If you want to add sprinkles, I recommend India Tree sprinkles (click to see their FAQ, which addresses questions about gluten). If you’re planning to add food coloring to your frosting, be sure to get a food coloring that’s gluten-free, like McCormick.
Always read recipe ingredient lists carefully and be sure to make gluten-free substitutions where necessary!
- Key Lime Bars. You can use animal crackers to make the bottom layer of this sweet and tart tropical-inspired treat.
- Animal Cracker Truffles. This three-ingredient recipe is an easy-to-make snack.
- Circus Animal Cookie Milkshake. This cool and colorful treat is perfect for a hot summer day.
- No-Bake Cheesecake. The animal crackers serve as the base for this creamy cheesecake.
- Animal Cracker Seven Layer Bars. These sweet bars also feature chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch chips. Yum!
- Circus Animal Cookie Popcorn. Two amazing snacks combined into one really amazing snack!
- Chocolate Covered Animal Cookies. What’s better than animal crackers? Animal crackers with chocolate! They’re easy to make, too.
- Circus Animal Cookie Blondies. Frosted animal crackers give these blondies a pop of color. Be sure to use gluten-free flour!
- Animal Cracker Cookie Butter. Bummed that Trader Joe’s popular Speculoos cookie butter isn’t gluten-free? Me too! Luckily, making gluten-free animal cracker cookie butter is super-simple, and only involves two ingredients. Serve your cookie butter with gluten-free animal crackers for dipping, of course!
And a dinner idea, too!
Ever wanted to have animal crackers for dinner? Well, now you can! Try this recipe for Animal Cracker Crusted Chicken with Caramelized Fuji Apples! Just be sure to use gluten-free breadcrumbs as well as gluten-free animal crackers.
Disclaimer: Some of the products mentioned in this article were provided to me by Glutino for review purposes. Under no circumstances has this affected the integrity of the article. If I didn’t love it, I wouldn’t cover it here. See my personal disclaimer for more details.
I first posted this article on Examiner.com.